Monday 6 December 2010

Day One

I arrived at the Mauritian airport at about 1545. I was exhausted but curious and excited.
My host met me at the airport and I experienced my first awkward cultural moment went she went to kiss me on either cheek when I was just going for a hug! You've just got to love cultural differences! Later I discovered that the men are free to do that too. That's been a bit of a challenge sometimes but when I feel very comfortable, I just extend my hand instead.

We arrived at the house and I was shown to my room for the next month. I'm sharing a room with a lovely young girl from South Africa. She's my age and the Lord works mightly in and through her. She has such a love for the Lord, His Word, the truth, the church and serving. I can tell the Lord has much for me to learn from her.

The family I'm staying with is Mauritian and the dad is the pastor of one of the churches here. They are such a real family. There's 2 other young people who live with them too plus they have 2 of their own children and now they're hosting me. Their such open people and I looking forward to learning from them and sharing my life with them.

The language barrier is a little frustrating. Everyone in the house can speak English but they prefer to speak in French. Sometimes I just sit and watch them talk. I get some words here and there but for the most part I'm LOST! I'm sure with time, I'll start to pick up more! I didn't do four years of French in school for nothing.

We had a great meal tonight. One of the young guys that lives here made it. It was rice with a lovely chicken casserole. There was a lot of excitement too because the dad had just had a grand opening for something he'd designed/built and Princess Anne was there. Him and his wife got to meet her!

By the time bed time came, I was shattered! Thank You Lord for bringing me here safely! I know You brought me all this way for the reason and I'm excited to see what You want to expose in me and what You  birth in me. My heart is in Your hands, please mould it and shape it into what You want it to be.

Bonne Nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment